Places of Slovak Interest in the United States
An on-line project of the Heritage/Cultural Standing Committee of the Slovak Catholic Federation – 2017-18 – Fr. Gerard Gonda, OSB
Submit information for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Murgas Room / King’s College / Wilkes-Barre
Museum honoring the memory of the “Radio Priest,” Fr. Jozef Murgas who had the first public demonstration of wireless telegraphy over land in 1905 / Founder of the Slovak Catholic Federation / Founding pastor of Sacred Heart Parish / Painter.
- The Jankola Library and Slovak Archives Research Center / Danville
Collection of books, tapes, artifacts, and records connected with Slovak-American history and culture. Located at the motherhouse of the Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius. Also at this location is the Basilica of Saints Cyril and Methodius.
- Jednota Memorial / Middletown
The Memorial is to honor all deceased members, whether or not they were war veterans. However, special honor is given to all who were Jednota veterans of war since WWI to present.
- University of Pittsburgh / Cathedral of Learning Czechoslovak Room
4200 Fifth Avenue / Pittsburgh
One of 30 classrooms featuring artifacts of particular cultures. (1939)
- John Kollar Slovak Literary and Library Society and Club
3226 Jane Street / South Side, Pittsburgh
Social and cultural events and language classes.
- Sokol Club
2912 East Carson Street / South Side, Pittsburgh
Social Club and event venue for Slovak activities.
- Coal and Coke Heritage Museum
(located on the campus of Penn State University, Fayette Eberly): Lemont Furnace, Pennsylvania
Slovak items are included in some of the displays.
- Visitation of the BVM (Now partnered with St. Pius X Church)
740 Walnut Street, Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania (Diocese of Greensburg)
Traditionally a Slovak Parish with a unique lower grotto (1921)
- St. Mary Nativity Church
61 N. Mt. Vernon Ave., Uniontown, Pennsylvania
- The Ladies Pennsylvania Slovak Catholic Union
71 South Washington Street, Wilkes-Barre
- First Catholic Slovak Union of the USA and Canada Corporate Center
6611 Rockside Road, Independence, Ohio
Fraternal insurance headquarters that includes cultural artifacts and exhibits.
- First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association Home Office
24950 Chagrin Blvd., Beachwood, Ohio
- Saint Andrew Svorad Benedictine Abbey and Slovak Institute
10510 Buckeye Road, Cleveland, Ohio
Library and museum of Slovak literature, culture, and history located within the Benedictine monastery and on the grounds of Benedictine High School.
- Transfiguration Parish (Saints Cyril and Methodius Church)
12608 Madison Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio
Beautiful side chapels, stained glass, and mosaics of Slovak Catholic history.
- Slovak Cultural Garden
One of a series of beautifully-landscaped gardens along Martin Luther King Drive running from Lake Erie south to University Circle. It features sculptures and a large statue of General Milan Stefanek.
- Jednota Slovak Club and Lanes
485 Morgan Avenue, Akron, Ohio
Bowling and social club
- American Slovak Club
2915 Broadway Ave., Lorain, Ohio
Bowling and social club also known for their Fish Frys.
- Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius
252 East Wood Street, Youngstown, Ohio (now part of Our Lady of Sorrows Parish with St. Matthias Church, 915 Cornell Street and Holy Name of Jesus Church, 613 North Lakeview Avenue)
First of six Slovak parishes established in the Youngstown diocese.
- Saints Cyril and Methodius Church (St. Elizabeth Seton Parish)
1234 High Street, Warren, Ohio
A modified Gothic church of rare and exquisite loveliness and a tribute to their noble Slovak Catholic ancestors. It was dedicated on May 20, 1950 by Bishop Emmet Walsh.
- American Slovak Cultural Association of the Mahoning Valley
2800 Shady Run Road, Youngstown, Ohio
- The Slovak Club of Warren, Ohio
1707 Larchmont Avenue
- The Slovak Heritage Room
Grasselli Library / John Carroll University / University Heights, Ohio
Slovak Heritage Collection – a gift of the First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association, the collection is housed in a special room down the hall from the GK Chesterton room. It is dedicated to the study of Slovak language and culture and is maintained in conjunction with the University Library Committee.
- Saints Cyril and Methodius Slovak Catholic Church
41223 Ryan Road, Sterling Heights, Michigan
Sunday Masses celebrated in English, Slovak, and Latin / Annual August Slovak Festival
- Saint Paul’s Albanian Catholic Church
525 West Auburn Road, Rochester Hills, Michigan
Three main wooden altars from the historic Sacred Heart Slovak Church in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania were removed and purchased by this church that serves the Albanian Catholic community of the Archdiocese of Detroit.
- Saint John Nepomucene Parish
First Avenue and 66th Streets, New York City
10:30 AM Sunday Mass celebrated in Slovak.
- Slovak Catholic Sokol
205 Madison Street / Passaic, New Jersey
Home office and museum for this fraternal benefit and athletic society.
- Shrine of Blessed Miriam Teresa Demjanovich / Sisters of Charity of St. Elizabeth
Convent Station, New Jersey
- Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel / Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
400 Michigan Ave., Washington, DC
- Embassy of the Slovak Republic
3523 International Court NW, Washington, DC
- Czech and Slovak School of North Carolina
4405 Hope Valley Road, Durham, North Carolina
Community resource center / Slovak classes offered.
- Map of Czech and Slovak related businesses in North Carolina
- The Slovak Garden, Inc.
3110 Howell Branch Road, Winter Park, Florida
Retirement community / geneology museum /social hall /newspaper.
- American Czech-Slovak Cultural Club
13325 Arch Creek Road, North Miami, Florida
Clubhouse and restaurant
- American Slovak Club
1324 119th Street, Whiting, Indiana
Pub / Dance and Night Club
- St. John the Baptist Church
1849 Lincoln Avenue, Whiting, Indiana
The church interior features the Grand Arch Mural painted in 1947 which traces the Catholic roots of the Slovak people through history.
- St. Stephen’s Church (St. Michael the Archangel Parish)
513 South Shabbona Street, Streator, Illinois
Church building was the oldest Slovak church in the U.S. (1885 along with St. Joseph’s in Hazelton, Pennsylvania – also 1885).
- Daughters of St. Francis of Assisi
507 N. Prairie Street / Lacon, Illinois
American province of a religious community from Slovakia who administer St. Joseph’s Home for the Aged in Lacon.
- Franciscan Sisters of John the Baptist
1209 East Lake Avenue, Peoria Heights, Illinois
Founded in 2006 in Peoria by sisters from Slovakia who sought renewal in their religious life. Charism of supporting priests and seminarians.
- Veselicka Slovak Academy of Chicago
8840 S. Richland Avenue, Oak Lawn, Illinois
Slovak folkloric dance and choreography classes.
- The Wisconsin Slovak Historical Society
3702 East Layton Ave., Cudahy, Wisconsin
Museum and Heritage Center with Slovak classes.
- Czech and Slovak Sokol Hall (C.S.P.S.)
383 West Michigan Street, St. Paul, Minnesota
Oldest Slovak/Czech hall in continuous use in the U.S. (1887)
- National Czech and Slovak Museum and Library
1400 Inspiration Place SW, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Museum with special exhibits and study trips.
- The House of Czech and Slovak Republics / Balboa Park
2170 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, California
Music / Dancing / Ethnic food